Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Call to Start a Church

Awhile back, I meet with a church planting representative (person in charge of starting new churches) from the denomination that I have been involved with. He asked me a question that I have been mulling around for months... it was more of a statement actually than a question and it went something like this...

Pastors who are successful with starting a new church feel that God has called them to this ministry and there is no other ministry that they could be involved in... they feel that if they did not start a church that they would be disobeying God.

Ever since that meeting I have been thinking about the call that God has put in my heart. I feel that I am called to be a pastor of a different model of church... I have often mentioned a coffeehouse that would function as a church. The church would be a place where people who were Christian as well as those who were seeking could meet and talk about God with mutual respect for others opinions. We would be a church who cared about the community around us that took care of our neighbors both physically and spiritually.

That is my call.

No comments: