Monday, February 26, 2007

All We Need Is Love

Yesterday after our meeting, I was thinking about what we could all rally around. You know, that ‘thing’ that brings us all together. It’s funny that we hadn’t come up with it before since I think it is quite obvious. Above all, we need to be committed to each other. Remember the song “They will know we are Christians by our love”? We need to be loving to each other.

We aren’t going to agree on many, many points. Theologically we will disagree, we will disagree on how to do church, we will think that we are the only one with the correct answers, we won’t acknowledge when someone else is right etc. Remember that the church in Acts couldn’t agree either. But, they did have Christ in common and they learned to love each other through it.

We too have Christ in common. And I think that sometimes theological points get in the way of loving each other. I was reflecting today at how much more compassionate I was before I came to Christ. And I wonder what happened to that. I remember 20 years ago when I felt compassion toward all humanitarian causes I came upon. We had nicknames on my floor in college and I went by Peaceful. Maybe the Beatles were right… all you need is love.

I am truly sorry that I fall short of the unconditional love that we are supposed to be sharing in Christ. I know that we need to have this love for one another. I pray this week that God will bring me back to that compassion for humanity and especially the family that we affectionately have called Jacob’s Well.

Peace,
Lisa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We all neeed to be showing compassion for one another. I understand that we will not agree. I understand that conflict is a natural thing. But honestly, who want's to be attacked at Church?! We are the represenative faces of Christ. Yes Jesus got in the face of those who needed it. But He also loved at a level we can only glancingly fathom.
God Bless Ya'll!!!