Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Abbey Road and Jacob's Well

In the past few months, I have really been wondering with where God has been positioning me in Montrose and the direction that Jacob's Well is heading.

I have noticed an increase in my community activities. I am a volunteer in several community organizations where I actively serve the community. I have greatly enjoyed being a part of them and I know that God has put me in positions there in order to serve.

Then I wonder about Jacob's Well.

I put that on the back burner for awhile... I have been a substitute teacher this fall/winter. Again, I am serving the community in which I live in ways that I have the education for. I believe God has put me there in order to serve.

Then I wonder about Jacob's Well.

I decided to go back to school and get a certificate in Postsecondary teaching so that I could learn what it takes to be a college teacher. I believe God has put me there as well to pass along what I have learned about ministry to other people entering ministry. I am serving there in ways I could not have imagined.

Then I wonder about Jacob's Well.

I think that a part of the problem with Jacob's Well is that my initial vision of a coffeehouse ministry in the community never quite meshed with what actually was going on at the house church. I remember choosing the name of Jacob's Well thinking that it would be a cool name for a coffeehouse... and bonus... it had a Biblical reference. But the name didn't really fit with a house church idea and I was redefining what it was by who was there.

So, I wonder about Jacob's Well and have begun to think about Abbey Road.

What do I mean by Abbey Road?
I have been a Beatles fan for most of my life and one of their albums was named 'Abbey Road' as a reference to the recording studio in which it was produced. Their message of love and peace put me on the spiritual road that lead me to becoming a pastor. I think that Abbey Road is an appropriate description of my spiritual path.

I am pursuing a life dedicated to Christ (much like monks or nuns from an abbey) but also dedicated to being involved in the world around them. This is how I see Abbey Road… a way of following Christ where you intersect with the world around you. I believe that I am living Abbey Road now by being actively involved in my community. I am seeking others wishing to be a community of people devoted to following Christ and serving others. In other words, I am looking for others also on Abbey Road.

So, I wonder about Jacob's Well and think about Abbey Road.

Peace,
Lisa

No comments: